Community Based School Feeding Programme -CSFP
KNOWLEDGE AID INITIATIVE Facilitates provision of a nutritious meal to every student each school day to increase enrollment and retention of children living in Urban slums in schools.
Facts and Figures
- A child doubles his/her height between the ages of 2 – 12, and proper nutrition is absolutely vital in laying the foundations for health and wellbeing
- Punctuality; absenteeism; child’s gender; child’s age; child’s birth order; household size; years of education of the household head and SFP were significant variables which affect attendance of children in school.
- School feeding programs have been defined as “targeted social safety nets that provide both educational and health benefits to the most vulnerable children, thereby increasing enrollment rates, reducing absenteeism, and improving food security at the household level.” … World Bank
“Children who eat the right amount of nutritious foods and are sufficiently active lay the foundations for a healthy life and enjoy lower risks of long-term health problems”
- Community development
- Visible increase in School enrollment.
- Ensure good health and well being of Children living in Slums of Africa
- To reduce absenteeism and encourage punctuality.
- To give the Children a better chance at life.
- To end poverty and hunger in all its forms.
- To ensure that every child living in the slums gets an education.
- Improve food security at the household level.
- Increase parents’ income.
CSFP IN ILAJE -BARIGA COMMUNITY
Ilaje Community in Bariga, Somolu Local Government is an ugly sight to behold. It consists basically of the Egun and Ilaje people. While the Ilaje People were said to have migrated from Ondo State, the Egun are said to come from Badagry Local Government in Lagos State. Ilaje Community is a riverine area, so their occupation is basically fishing. The Community is characterized by
- High level of poverty
- Lack of basic social amenities
- Extreme Low Level of Literacy
- Lack of access to clean water and environment
- Child and Women abuse
- Lack of access to clean water and improper sanitation etc.
All these issues and more spell danger for the Community, Nation and the World. The Standard of living in Ilaje Bariga is sickening, horrific and appalling. Any visitor will be more horrified to imagine that people could live in such a degenerated and degenerating atmosphere. The people of Ilaje are very poor and vulnerable. They need empowerment and protection and the children are the worst of this deprivation , they are often not having good nutrition and often times they did not have good meal even if once a day to eat.
ILAJE BARIGA SCHOOL FEEDING PROGRAM
“Every child needs to have a balanced diet, in order to grow up healthy and strong, but Ilaje children do not have access to nutritious meal due to poverty .
- Over 1000 children live in excruciating hardship in Ilaje, Bariga, Lagos State.
- They are hungry, dirty, lack of access to water.
- They don’t even have a decent roof over their heads. They sleep on the bare floor in makeshift homes.
- The community has just one school with few teachers.
- They hawk smoked fish for their parents so as to make ends meet instead of attending schools and preparing for a better life.
- Some are disinterested in education because it’s not their norm while others want to get an education but cannot, because they can barely feed at home, and their parents cannot afford the fee. The other children that attend most times go on an empty stomach, so they can barely concentrate and learn.
- Uppermost on their young minds is food. They just want to eat, be happy and live life to its fullest.
- Every child deserves to live, and live well.
Knowledge Aid Initiative believes that giving Ilaje Bariga School Children, a meal a day, will translate to increase in school enrollment, assist in the growth and development of the health and wellbeing of the child, translate to the total wellbeing of the community and the nation and world at large.
The economic implications of this intervention are that it helps to increase parents’ income, thereby alleviating extreme poverty and hunger among pupils and parents.
Method of Operation
- Provide a meal every day, during school days, for the children.
- Ensure that every attendee is fed with nutritious meals.
- Maintain food pantry in the school and equip the kitchen with modern food utensils and items
- Train the kitchen staff importance of Good nutrition and how to do a well balanced school timetable.
- Ensure the children gets the right nutrition they require and are involved actively in drawing up a meal plan.
- Inaugurate food prefects among pupils who ensure that the school meal plan is followed and children are actively involve in the school meal plan and serving.
Over the last one year, over 300 children have benefited from the CSFP and this has significantly increase enrollment rate in the community by more than 74%.